Thursday, April 28, 2011

A little change

Hello! It's been a while since my last post. Being a mom comes first and foremost and the end of school is near. Summer is coming and I will be vacationing in Hawaii with family and spending time at some of my mom's properties. This all mean what exactly?! Well, I won't be working much.

On a different subject, I wanted to talk about my packaging. I will be the first to admit that I am a novice at all of this. Whether it be networking, advertising, blogging- it's all new to me. Packaging is including on that list. I know what I like when I'm in a store, in terms of packaging and I know what I don't like. Many articles state that packaging is more important than the product itself, although I think it is the product that keeps you coming back. I don't want to "waste" my time with packaging, really. I don't want to waste resources (I love Mother Earth) and I don't want to spend extra money in a place where I would be fine if all my bars were naked. Just sitting in a basket, naked, waiting for some lovely person to scoop them up and give them a good home (or shower/bath).

What I was finding with my packaging, though, was that it was not "clean" looking. I wanted my product to look streamlined. Whether it be for shelf packaging or sending in the mail, it needed to be put together and not looked crumpled if it had to sit a while or take a long ride in a box.

So I decided to change it a bit. I give you a picture of my old packaging: 

If you look in the above photo you can see how the tags can get a bit bent, and reach past the soap, so they don't have any solid backing to prevent crumpling. I also would tie them with a bow, which adds more time when I am packaging my soap. Time = money, as they say. Honestly I have no clue if packaging them the new way "saves" me any money, I just like it better. So now I give you how I am currently packaging my soaps:

This way the tags never get bent or torn and I can package them in a box nicely. They stack nicely for store shelves and display tables and it's simple and "clean" looking. I am no longer doing the bow, although I still think it's a cute touch. Everything else is the same: white tissue paper, raffia, recycled paper with description. By the way, if you didn't already know, all of the packaging material is compostable or burnable (I'm a fire lover and fireplace owner, but I know a lot of city folk aren't). Please don't throw away the packaging. You can do so many things with stuff you think is useless. So, do you like? Let me know what you think in the comment section.

1 comment: